Thursday, February 15, 2007

Fast Food

After school I was feeling very hungry due to the fact that I had skipped lunch. However, I didn’t want something like McDonald’s or Burger King, or any of those fast food restaurants because of what I learned about their food and they way it is prepared. I also have experienced working in a fast food restaurant. Working in Dunkin’ Donuts, I noticed day after day when making the sandwiches for the customers, that these sandwiches are exactly the same as the ones in McDonald’s. In order to prepare it, all I have to do is put it in the microwave to heat up and then just serve it up. When looking at the nutritional chart, I noticed that each one of the meat and cheese sandwiches had outrageous number of calories, sugar, etc.
I also didn’t want something like Chinese food because since I’m Chinese I basically eat it every night. Instead I decided to go to a Subway’s that was near my house. I figured that, that was fast food, but also healthier than say McDonald’s. I walked in and immediately all the pictures of sandwiches and the prices caught my eye. $1.99 sandwiches here, a foot long sub special here it was hard for me to choose. Just to make it easier on myself I just ordered what I always ordered when coming to Subway’s, a foot long turkey sub on hearty Italian bread. I also noticed right away that the prices on most subs had not changed that much, but what have changed was the serving size of the sandwiches. I noticed that it had gotten bigger almost.
On my turkey sub, I had lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, and a little mayo. The cashier asked me if I wanted chips and soda, and I choose 2 cookies and a drink instead.
Some people might argue that Subway’s is not fast food and that if you eat it on a consistent basis it can be healthy for you. However I don’t agree with that. I feel that Subway’s is a fast food chain. Although it’s not deep fried or injected with different hormones, it is not clear where the turkey and the chicken, or even the lettuce and tomatoes originally came from. For all we know it could’ve been injected with different chemicals to heighten the taste. Also that Subway’s commercial where the guy only ate Subway’s and lost a ton of weight is complete BS.

1 comment:

Juggleandhope said...

Ray,

Another great post! I've got to stop reading all your posts carefully and replying or I won't finish checking everyone's work.

Why is that commercial BS?