Thursday, February 15, 2007

Associate Supermarket

As I stepped inside Associate immediately I remembered all the times I went grocery shopping with my mom and always asking her if I could have this and have that. Now I realized that all of the food that I always loved and wanted was not always healthy for you. Right away when I stepped inside the one thing that caught my eye was the hot food section. I could smell what was cooking from a mile away. Since it was still around breakfast, they had smoked sausages cooking, scrambled eggs with ham and onions, almost like an omelet to say. I was also shocked when I saw French fries but I guess there are people who like to eat that for breakfast. Right across from the hot food section they had varieties of cold sandwiches, ranging from turkey and cheese ham and cheese, sushi, and then even a 1 course meal, with rice, chicken veggies, etc. I picked one up that was turkey with Swiss cheese, lettuce tomatoes and a touch of mayo in between a poppy seed bagel. I picked another one up and it was the very same thing, turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and mayo, however this time it was on a roll instead. Right away I was surprised at the different prices between them. The one on a poppy seed bagel was $3.99; meanwhile the one on the roll was $4.99. I thought to my self, is the difference between a roll and a bagel really a dollar. To me I would prefer the bagel instead based on the looks of it. The sandwich with the bagel was more appealing and more “stacked” while the one on the roll looked kind of “flat” and not that appealing. I took a look at the ingredients between these two sandwiches and also the other ones surrounding me and right away I noticed that the ingredients were very simple. All it stated was the obvious, like the meat and the vegetables. I wondered how come it doesn’t state like the oil, and all the chemicals that are in it being that most if not all sandwiches were processed meat. I thought that maybe if it was stated and people knew the truth then they wouldn’t buy it at all and then the supermarket would loose a percent of their profits. However isn’t it better for people to know the food they are eating especially the “fast” food. For who knows, one day one of those sandwiches can be their life…

Other questions:
1. How are processed sandwiches made?
2. How come processed food is not healthy for you, what’s in it that causes that?
3. How do supermarkets determine the prices set on sandwiches such as these?
4. Do these sandwiches cause an increase on calories, cholesterol, sugar and salt intake, etc.?
5. Do supermarkets place these “processed” sandwiches right by the door instead of all the in the back where the detergent is held, to get customers to automatically see it when they come in, and purchase it right away?

1 comment:

Juggleandhope said...

Ray,

I think I'm becoming one of your fans. This was interesting and fun to read. One sign that the student put in real thought is when the teacher is congratulating himself on the assignment.